I know you know the frustration of trying to wake a flat battery especially when you had grounded your car through winter or summer.
A jump starter might help you but the fact is that you might have to replace a dead battery.
Ensure that you never experience this again by getting one of the best battery chargers cum maintainers that will ensure that your battery is always ready when you are.
The best battery tender for car storage will enhance your auto battery’s performance and save you the cost of frequent battery replacement.
We tested several battery tender brands so that you don’t have to waste your time and bucks on helpless trial and error.
As compensation, we’ll earn a small commission when you click on the links here and better your life by purchasing one of these devices. This comes at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Reviews of the Best Battery Tender for Car
- It charges, maintains and desulfates the battery
- Best for battery diagnostics
- It sends alerts to your mobile phone through Wi-Fi
- Best for jump starting small car
1. NOCO GENIUS5, 5-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger/ Maintainer/ Desulfator
Just like the battery tender enhances a car battery’s performance and prolongs its life, a rain guard or wind deflector preserves the upholstery by deflecting rain and other elements. Here is our review of the best rain guards for cars in 2022.
2. Deltran Battery Tender Plus 75 Amp Engine Start Battery Charger: 12V, 20 AMP Booster/ Car Battery Jump Starter/ Charger/ Maintainer with Integrated Wi-Fi
3. STANLEY BC15BS Fully Automatic 15 Amp 12V Bench Battery Charger/Maintainer with 40A Engine Start, Alternator Check
5. Deltran Battery Tender Plus Charger and Maintainer: 12V, 1.25 Amp Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer
8. Mroinge 12V 2A Lead Acid & Lithium(LiFePO4) Automatic Trickle Battery Charger Smart Battery Maintainer
10. Foval Automatic Trickle Battery Charger 12V 1000mA Smart Battery Charger- best trickle charger for the money
11. MOTOPOWER MP00205A 12V 800mA Automatic Battery Charger, Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator
A Buyer’s Guide for the Best Battery Tender for Car Storage
(i) Current Rating
The current rating of the battery tender you choose will determine how long it will take to charge your vehicle’s battery. Without accounting for losses, a 2 Amp charger will fill up a 10 AH battery in 5 hours while a 0.5 Amp charger will take 20 hours to fully power the same battery.
However, it’s important to note that you don’t want a charger whose current is too high for your battery. Charging a battery too quickly will overheat it and potentially shorten its life.
The ideal choice would be a battery tender with variable current.
(ii) Ampere-Hour Capacity
The charger’s AH rating should be higher than that of the battery if at all it is going to fully charge the battery. If your battery is 50 AH, then the tender or trickle charger should be at least 50 AH.
The best battery tender for car storage should be safe to use so that it doesn’t damage the battery. It should be able to guard against short-circuiting, reverse polarity connection, overcharging, overheating, sparks, water, oil, and other elements.
(iv) Multiple Functions
The more features your device has, the better because you’ll have one gadget doing the work of multiple gadgets. The best car battery tenders combine a battery charger, maintainer, trickle charger, and a battery regenerator. Battery maintainers that provide battery diagnostic information help prolong its life.
STANLEY BC15BS charger/maintainer can monitor the battery under load and it can also jump-start a small car or motorbike.
(v) Battery Type
Lead acid batteries can be charged by any type of charger but flooded, AGM, and gel cell batteries need a charger specifically designed for them.
FAQs: Best Battery Tender for Car
What is the Effect of Overcharging your Battery?
If you overcharge your car battery, it will eventually die. When a lead-acid battery is overcharged, the electrolyte heats up and the battery excessively generates both hydrogen and oxygen gases. In a vented battery, the cooking electrolyte will ruin the plates, damaging the battery.
In a sealed battery, the buildup of gases can burst the battery. The only way to avoid the risk of overcharging your vehicle’s battery is to buy a battery maintainer or tender that will automatically turn off once the battery is fully charged.
The best battery tender for car storage from our expert review will help you avoid the sudden frustration of a dead battery that won’t start your vehicle. These battery tenders will also enhance your auto battery’s performance and save you the cost of frequent battery replacement.